August 4, 2009

Birder with a camera

Okay, I've been birding my whole life.

WHOLE LIFE.

And I don't see anything stopping that.

However, my interests in birds has taken a new turn: photography. It's not that I'm bored with just looking at birds and observing them. It's just that I'm always looking for that new thrill; that new adventure within the world of birding. Photography could be the ticket.

Though I know little about photograhy right now (shutter speed is about girls, right?) I want to become skilled at it. My idea of bird photography isn't getting that blurry photo of some state record yellow-billed loon that was taken with a camera phone and a pair of bins. I'm talking about the hunt....getting that one. perfect. shot. The kind of shot that takes patience and knowledge of where the birds are.

Yet, I'm reluctant. I have heard of many a good birder becoming a photographer. Then it all changes.......I never want to become that guy who will tromp through any habitat just to get that great photo. I want to be someone who can champion both photography and birding.

I guess I've been birding long enough and have had too many moments where I've said, "Damn, I wish I had a camera with me right now." I'm sick of saying that. I want to have great photos to look over as memories...not simply a list of checkmarks, but I want to be satistifed as well at just looking at bird instead of always saying, "can we get closer, please. I want that photo."

So, here's to a new adventure. May I be a birder who has a camera with him. Not a bird photographer.


-Sell

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new adventure! I bet you start "seeing" in a whole new way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the blog and the photography. It's addictive combining the two!

    All the best
    Mark - http://mark-badgerseye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I am now following you and look forward to following this new venture! I have added you to my blogroll and will keep track of your photography!

    ReplyDelete